The importance of stillness

 


Have you ever been in a situation where you have an idea but can’t expound on it? As a writer, this happens to me often. I’ll have an amazing idea and I can see it clearly, but once I get to the paper, once I get ready to type, the words don’t come. It is one of the most frustrating things for me personally. and in fact that’s literally what happened when I went to write this post. I wanted to talk about a topic that was close to my heart, my faith as well as my healing process and how they go together hand-in-hand to help me get through my most challenging times. However, every time I went to write , nothing happened. By my fourth attempt, I got up and walked away from my laptop. I walked downstairs in the quiet early morning, just me as my children focused in their rooms during their virtual classes. I put water in my kettle, placed it on the stove and walk to the living room and sat. My phone by me but not in my hand, no TV, no radio, no music. I sat on the sofa, hearing cars drive-by occasionally on my street and patiently waited for my water to boil in the quiet and the stillness of my home.

And this might come off as so simple but it is the simple act that creates a chain wave of focus for me. Often times we forget the importance of being still. We forget the value of calming our minds, focusing on our breathing and just letting ourselves sit in stillness. We forget so many times that instead of searching for an answer or trying our best to force out a solution, we need to allow the solution to come to us. And we can only do that when we are still. The world is in such a hurry, and it has taught us to be in a hurry too. It lies to us when it tells us about timelines, deadlines, age limitations, you’ve reached your peak limitations. The things that are meant for you, or for you and it does not happen on anyone’s forced timeline. And this practice does not just apply to those in a creative field. Stepping back and being still has help me through some of the most challenging times in my life. Because stillness allows you to step outside of your present state, and witness how you are feeling, what you are thinking and your reactions to all of it. Everyone has been taught the rule of when you’re angry count to 10. And as I was a child I believe that this was supposed to be a tool to make you no longer angry. However, as an adult I understand that this practice is not to stop the anger, but to be still and to be a witness to the anger. Taking a moment to understand and feel what you were feeling and why you’re feeling it, is so valuable and honestly it is necessary. 

My tea kettle is singing now, so I should go and turn it off.  But I marvel at the moment I took to be still and allow a message and inspiration to come through me instead of me forcing it. this is the profound gift that stillness gives. So I challenge you my friends, when you were feeling frustrated, anxious, confused, angry, sad, and just questioning things in general whether they be for your career or whether they be for your own personal life. Take a moment to sit in stillness and allow your solution to come to you.

Be blessed xo 

Comments

Popular Posts