Forever grateful for “Black Panther”

 


Late this past Friday night, as I lay comfortably on my chaise playing Animal Crossing, I got an alert on my phone. I looked at Twitter and it stated that actor Chadwick Boseman had died at the age of 43 after his long battle of cancer. My initial reaction was not only shock but denial. There’s been so many times where there has been a celebrity death hoax that I knew this couldn’t be true. Sadly, as we all know now, the late after succumb to colon cancer. There have been numerous tributes, heartfelt tweets, public mourning  and reflection. And my two little ones have been a part of that. After posting a photo of them in “Black Panther” costumes, the picture went viral on Twitter and they have since been in multiple news outlets to commemorate the legacy of the late actor. But this is not about my kids, and this isn’t only about Chadwick. Though in his short life he played many iconic and brilliant roles. It is Marvel’s Black Panther, that stands out in my mind. 

I reminisce about when I first watched “Black Panther”. There was so much hype and so much energy surrounding the release of this movie. Mainly because it came out in February and for all of 2018, Black people with celebrate this movie. I remember buying my tickets in advance, which I never do. And I took Masaya out of school early to see the very first screening. I remember the two of us being so excited, one because we were having a mother and son date which we don’t get to do often with our busy schedules. And to we were a black mother and son watching in all black film about a black superhero. The pride in both of us swelling felt as if we were going to burst into star beams. And then the movie began. I could go on and on about this film, but the main thing I remember is wanting so badly for this fictional place called Wakanda to be real. The beauty of it, the pride of it, the colors, the sound, the music, the smiles, the energy. It was like one of the most beautiful dreams I have ever had coming to life screen. From the cast, to the costumes, to the soundtrack it was perfection. Masaya and I left the theater dancing around, and pretend fighting as though he was indeed a black panther and I was a villain. When we reach the car I asked him what he loves best about the movie. As always, he took a moment to think and finally Begin to explain about how amazing he thought Black Panther was in the movies and all the fighting scenes and how cool and how strong he was and everyone in Wakanda. Then he said something so insightful, as my son is known to do. “ He was always doing good, even if other people thought he was wrong, he knew he was doing the right thing. That’s what we should always do even if other people aren’t with us. We should always do the right thing mommy.” And there it was, the real moral of the story. Just stand strong in your faith and to do what is right even if it isn’t popular. Even if you are only supported by a few or none at all. You have to stand in truth...this is the sign of a true leader.

I saw the movie two more times in theaters and immediately bought the DVD as soon as it was released. It has been a staple in our home for not only my son but also my daughter Yui who absolutely loves the character Shuri. The three of us watch the movie again on our projector in my room this past Saturday evening as tribute to Chadwick Boseman. And for some reason, this time felt like the first time. Knowing that our king was no longer here with us, made every moment even more precious to watch. We laughed out loud, we looked on in awe and teared up a few times. Once the film was over I began cleaning up. My daughter who had fallen asleep on the last 20 minutes, suddenly walk and asked “Mommy, can we watch it again tomorrow?” I smiled, knelt down and kissed her forehead and told her of course.

Not only has Black Panther become a superhero phenomenon in the Marvel franchise but it has also become a black staple. In our household it sits alongside Coming to America, The Color Purple, Waiting to Exhale and many others. And we are forever grateful.

Comments

Popular Posts