A Letter to my son on his 9th Birthday

My son Masaya, playing piano at a local restaurant in Buffalo, NY
My dearest Masaya,

                                I cannot believe that this is your last year in the single digits. I look at you and I marvel. Seeing you grow and evolve these past nine years has been an honor and a blessing that I thank God for everyday. I knew your name before you were conceived and once I was pregnant with you, I have called your name ever since. I know that I can be hard on you, the strict and disciplinary black mother, that you read in books or see in biopics of famous black hero. The hard women who lay the foundation. Because that’s exactly what I’m trying my best to do, lay down a foundation for you my beautiful boy. There have been so many times where I feel as though I’ve failed you. Yet, you show me that all things are possible. You’ve shown me Gods love manifested through you and your sister. You both are my greatest accomplishment and you two will always be such. I promise to always be honest with you, even if you don’t want to hear or accept it. I promise to continue to be your teacher of life and once I’ve taught you all of life’s lessons, I promise to mentor you until my last breath. I promise to be an example to you, to show you how to live your best life and to constantly excel because my sweet boy, you can always keep going. I promise to show you love forever and always. I promise to never shy away for the bad as well as all the good this world has to offer. You can always come to me. And if I don’t have the answer, I promise to help you find one. I promise that I will look for help when I’m at a lost for areas in your life that I cannot fill. I will provide you with all the support you need, even if it doesn’t come from me. And lastly my beloved, I will always be there to make you better, to climb higher to encourage you to never stop. I am your mother and you are my son, forever, for always.

                                                                            Love Mommy


Comments

Popular Posts