What I learned in San Juan

On the streets of Old San Juan
 I will be the first to tell you that I love my day job. Working as a flight attendant these past three years has been a blessing in more ways then one. Obviously, the biggest perk is traveling to different places every week or at least having the pleasure of getting a break from the norm of home. I've always held to the truth that a change of environment is one of the best forms of medicine. And this doesn't have to be accomplished by hopping on a plane. It can be as simple as stepping away from your desk and grabbing coffee or diving to the neighboring town 15 minutes away. The point is, we all need a break, we all need to decompress, especially when our mind and spirit is overwhelmed. And this past weekend, I learned a valuable lesson on my layover.

As we all know, human characteristics can clash. We won't always get along with everyone and personalities don't always mesh. This is especially true in the work environment. I tell my friends all the time that a crew can make or break my trip, no matter the destination. And I had my work cut out for me this past weekend. But, even though my crew wasn't ideal, I was determined to enjoy my time in San Juan, a city I hadn't visited in over two years. As soon as I stepped out of the airport, the warm, salty air hit me and I instantly relaxed after a tense day of flying. Arriving at the hotel, I was greeted with smiles and happy faces. And then I saw the pool and instantly felt a surge of excitement and a strong desire for a cocktail. But, getting in late in the afternoon posed a conflict. As much as I wanted to head to the pool, bikini clad and drink in hand, Old San Juan was calling my name. So, I showered and got dressed quickly and headed into the main portion of the city. It was here that I learned a valuable lesson about self care. As I stepped out of my Uber and stood in the middle of the Plaza Colon, I allowed all my senses to take over. I made sure to walk slowly through the streets of Old San Juan. As I felt the cobblestone under my feet and gazed at the brightly colored buildings surrounding me, I couldn't help but imagine what life was like in this city a hundred years ago. The smell of grilled meats, herbs, vegetables and sweets permeated the air, causing my stomach to twist, longing to try every restaurant I passed. The sound of children playing and families laughing and enjoying the lazy Sunday covered me, along with beautiful melodies coming from cars passing and local bars filled with patrons. Seeing kites flying high above with streamers waving in the breeze and the ocean waves crashing along the banks of the edge of the road were more relaxing then any liquor. And finally, the sweet and warm taste of hot churros in my mouth, followed by the crunch as I chewed was heavenly. And then it hit me. When we surrender all our senses to an experience, this is an act of self love that renews the spirit, the soul and the mind. 
A canopy of colorful umbrellas hang overhead while patrons enjoy the festivities on a gorgeous Sunday afternoon.
Again, I know that most of us don't have the opportunity to jump on a plane and head to a beautiful city in the Caribbean. But, we all have the chance to take a moment to invoke our five senses each day. When the day seems stressful or life is getting the best of you, take a moment for yourself. It can be as simple as a hot bath. Draw the water, hear it run from the faucet, play soothing music. Add essential oils or a bath bomb or Epsom salts; let the aroma cleanse you. Touch the water, test it and then immerse yourself in it. Watch the bubbles swirl or water move from side to side as you make yourself comfortable. Place a cold glass of lemon water near the tub for after wards, cooling yourself down and hydrating yourself simultaneously. And this is just an example. Find what works for you and I promise, you will feel the difference immediately. When we take care of ourselves, we are open and able to care for others.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts