Japanese Cultural Day in Buffalo, NY

Masaya with two lovely ladies in traditional kimono wear at the Buffalo Museum of History.
In the immortal words of Game of Thrones, "Winter is coming." So I hope all of you are staying warm and keeping active. Yesterday my family and I attended the annual Japanese cultural day here in Buffalo, NY. It is so important that my son not only knows about this side of his family, but that it becomes second nature to him. It is not enough that he is able to communicate in Japanese, but he must also know his history as well. I mean, how can you get to where you're going, if you don't know where you've come from? So off we went to the Buffalo Museum of History and meet with the Japanese group of Buffalo to learn that history. We saw a Kendo demonstration, which is a Japanese martial art that descended from traditional swordsmanship. We participated in the traditional tea ceremony and saw  beautiful Ikebana display, or traditional Japanese flower arrangement. Afterwards we strolled through the gardens that truly made me feel like I had returned to Japan, even for a few moments. All in all, it was a great family day, with rewards uniting my son with his past.

Love Malinda xoxo


     Ikebana and Japanese tea ceremony. You're doing good Masaya!




Having fun at the Buffalo Japanese Gardens

Comments

Popular Posts