I Heart Buffalo

My mother calls me the unofficial mayor of Buffalo, New York. And you know what; I wear that title like a badge of honor. People who really know me know that I LOVE Buffalo. I'm proud to live here and happy to know that I am raising my family in an amazing, multi-cultural environment. So as you can safely assume, it really pisses me off when people down my city. My solution for the haters: if you don't like Buffalo, the get the hell out and let the rest of us enjoy it! I've always been the type of person where, if I don't like something, I change it. If a job is too boring or non-stimulating, I get a new one. If a person I hang around is negative, I stop hanging out with them. If I don't like the way the furniture is arranged, I move it. I believe in making a situation better, not worse. I believe in change and I strive to evolve into a better wife, mother, friend, and daughter. I feel the same way about the city I live in. So when I hear people say things like " Ain't nothing to do in Buffalo.” more then likely I can assume that it’s not the place, but the people. When you limit yourself to doing the same thing, going to the same place, talking tot he same people, of course it’s going to feel boring, because it is! Life is what you make it folks. And when your life is in a stalemate, its time for YOU to make move. There is so much to do in Buffalo and so much to see. We have more festivals then any other city in the county. So no one living here should say they have nothing to do in the summer, EVER! Not to mention a great waterfront (which we don't use enough, but that's a whole other blog entry), amazing architecture, tons of beaches, art, theater, museums and I don't even need to get into the food. Speaking of art and theater, Buffalo is a great place for support in this type of community. I live right behind the Essex Art Center and Big Orbit Gallery and I can assure you that Buffalo supports its artists. Actually, it supports its people. Whenever my son and I walk near the building, the director or manager on duty let's Masaya come in and paint or check out the exhibits, just to be a support in the community. We just attended that latest installment of Clutter, a community of local artist who create an open market to display their wares, and had some amazing food at The Whole Hog food truck. Art not your thing, try the Botanical gardens or The Griffin Sculpture Park. Why not drive up to Lake George for a long weekend or take the Moon cat sailboat on a cruise with your friends or partner. Take a walking tour or see the fantastic Muster in the Meadow at Forest Lawn Cemetery, where they re-create the civil war. Oh yeah and Canada is right next door. I live in a city that's only 20 minutes away from another country, not another state, but another country. You want to shake things up, go to Toronto for the weekend. Hell, Montréal is like a five to six hour drive away. That's like going to Paris on a budget! It takes longer to drive to New York City. Not to mention all the vineyards, bed and breakfasts, parks and other cities to see on the way there. Honestly, I could go on and on and on, but I think you get the point. I belong to so many groups and organizations here in Buffalo. The reason for this is that I support my community. Buffalo is more then a sports town. We have great musicians, actors, artists, writers, poets, designers, and great people here just in general. But a community can't thrive if it has no support. The reason why you have places like New York City, Las Vegas, Chicago, and Boston is because people support it. They take care of their home. They nurture the energy and when something doesn't work, they change it to make it work. I see so much potential here in Buffalo to be the great city it once was, but in order for us to get there, the people who live here need to either, get on this train or get off because when we pull out of the station, we're not stopping to pick anyone up. For the people that don't live here, come check us out! You can personally contact me and I will be your official guide to all thing Buffalo! And I challenge all the people who live here with their negative attitudes, try something new. Once you change your perceptive, your whole outlook will change as well. We can make this city great again, but we have to stop complaining and start moving to that next level. Remember, faith without works is dead. Sending Love, Luck and Angels M xoxo

Comments

Popular Posts