The New Middle Class


Now before I get into what I want to get into, I have to remind you all that this blog is not only about positivity, but it is also about making a change for the better. Be it on an individual level, as what I do with my clients or a world wide level, I am all about empowering others and myself to better their lives and the lives of others. Now, with that said, lets get into this.

I normally don’t feel the need to let my aggressions out on Facebook. Hell, I’m normally too busy to check my Facebook half the time. But, after reading an article this past Thursday morning, I was so livid I could not contain myself. On Yahoo! Finance there was an article about a “banker” who makes $350,000 and claims that he is struggling to make it. In that same article, the author talks to others of this kind who complain about have to choose to take their kids out of private school or not being able to go to Paris or Brazil for a Bachelor party. Needless to say, my family and I are no where close to making that kind of money and even if were were in a good financial place, it would not even touch a salary of $350,000. Now, after having some time to claim down, I saw a follow up interview with this gentleman (BTW, his is not a Wall Street banker, but a Director of Marketing at a large firm). He explained that he was not complaining about his life and that the reporter misconstrued his words. He made it clear that he was making a choice to live in New York City, with his two children and wife. He also made it clear the he knows he has it good. He was trying to convey that fact that New York is not what it was ten years ago and that pay increases have stopped. He is not living that life he thought he would be living.

Well you know what sir, no one is living that life that they though they would be living ten years ago. Don't get me wrong, there are some people, just like they gentleman, who are fortunate to live a life where they don't have to worry about bills, food or having a home to stay in. And I am not knocking his success either. He worked hard to be where he is and I applaud anyone who works hard in life. However, my husband and I are both educated people, we work work hard too and yet, living on a family income that straddles the poverty line is not cutting it. We have made sacrifices and we know where are priorities are. Nonetheless, hearing someone like that talking about how his yearly bonus has shrunk to $125,000, we just have no sympathy because our annual income does not even touch that. I have had to make the decision to either pay a bill or buy groceries for that week. I still have to make that choice sometimes and I am grateful that I have family to help, when I need it. This is my reality and it is the same reality for so many or even worse. My family has heat, electric and enough food to last them until I have a chance to go to the store. They have more then enough cloths on their backs. We are just above the property level here in America, but we are blessed! This I can't say for a lot of others. People have no homes, children have no food to eat, but yet, there are those complaining that their $350,000 is not enough. If this is the case, its time to leave NYC sir!!!! Move to a place where that paycheck will get you all the things you want and more. You are one of the fortunate people sir. Stop trying to live the life you thought you could live and live the life that you have now!

This is the new reality. The world has changed and we have to change with it. We cannot live a life think about what we thought we should have gotten or what we thought we were going to get. We need to live in a sense of present. Appreciating what we have right now. If tomorrow we are blessed to have more, then we will be thankful when it happens. Until then live in the NOW!

Comments

Popular Posts