Home is Where the Status is????

I was laying in bed last night, almost on the verge of a nervous break down, contemplating why I don't own my own house. And more then anything, I was trying to figure out why it bothers me so much.

My husband and I live in a beautiful neighborhood in Buffalo. Beautiful homes, parks, great night life for adults and tons of entertainment for kids. Our area really has something for everyone. But for me, is there more to it. Is it more about what people think about me me, then how I truly feel about my own situation? I started to review this. There are so many benefits to owning a home. First of all, its yours. You can do with it, what you will. You have the freedom to paint it purple and pink with blue spots if you like because its yours. There's a sense of pride that the money you spend on mortgage is money in your pocket, an investment. Then again, along with that freedom comes TONS of responsibility. You are responsible for everything and I mean EVERYTHING. Improvements, repairs, furnishings, yard care (if you have a yard. In these urban settings, its not always the case), taxes, etc.

So why the obsession? Why the longing to belong to this homeowners club, that can sometimes be more of a headache then its worth? Honestly, I don't have an answer, but I do have a better outlook. Though it does bother me at times that I still live in the world of rent, I also had a great time in that world. Traveling through Europe and Asia. Making great friends, having amazing lovers and experiencing life outside of this urban setting in Buffalo. I lived and I lived well, all while renting. It is my goal to be a homeowner and it will happen and I will have the house of my dreams, ready to make new memories for me and my family. I just won't feel bad about the journey to get there.

Amen.

Comments

Popular Posts